Friday, November 1, 2013

Healthy American cheese

The last time I wrote about food and my diet I got this bit which was part of a larger reply:
I simply don't trust the "organic" food industry to keep all the promises it makes in any strict way, any more than I believe every bit of meat sold as kosher or halal is pure and good. Indeed we hear of seed blowing from GM crop fields into adjacent (or not so adjacent) organic or non-GM fields.
The phrase I've heard a few times at the nutrition center is, "Buy the best quality food you can afford." I take that to mean, for example, if one can't afford certified organic, look for products without preservatives. If even that isn't available, choose foods with the least amount of additives.

I face that right now in trying to find a healthy American cheese. I haven't found organic yet. I also haven't found additive free yet. I buy the brand with the least amount of processing and additives. That isn't Kraft.

The last time I was at Whole Foods I went to the cheese counter (which has an amazing spread from around the world) and asked, "Do you have American cheese?" He replied, "Yes, we have lots of cheeses made in America."

To expand on my point: Is certified organic food completely free of pesticides, GMOs, and all kinds of other nasty things in our food? Probably not. Does organic have less of these things than non-organic. Yes. Many times a reduction in these additives will improve health even though elimination of additives will improve it more. The question becomes whether the reduction in harm is worth the increased cost and difficulty in finding appropriate foods. I can only answer that for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment