Saturday, May 18, 2013

Every so often procrastination pays off

Back at the end of January Newsweek discontinued its print edition. I could still access the subscriber's version online, but I fell behind in my reading. That's because I used to read it at my dining room table and my computer wasn't visible from there and because I do all kinds of other reading on my computer (like gay news).

I checked into the nook, but the one I liked needed Wi-Fi and if I was to get that I might as well use the netbook computer I already have. I did get as far as pricing Wi-Fi routers, but decided not to purchase until after the school year ended. So in the last few weeks I began to think it was about time I completed the deal.

A couple weeks ago Comcast, my network provider, said I needed a new modem, which I rent from them. No big deal, my current one is already the second one they've provided, and the rental fee for the new one would stay the same. They promised faster internet speeds (though with a stodgy computer I wasn't sure I would be able to tell), so I ordered it to be delivered.

Much to my surprise and delight, the modem box includes a Wi-Fi router! It also includes connections to all the other services Comcast supplies, such as phone. So I spent the morning connecting it up (and calling them to initialize it). Then I spent time updating the netbook with new versions of various tools. That meant I could spend part of this afternoon sitting on my porch, netbook in hand, reading a back issue of Newsweek
. I'm glad I didn't buy that separate router.

No comments:

Post a Comment