Thursday, January 4, 2018

Young love

This afternoon I went to see the movie Call Me By Your Name at the theater for limited run movies in Royal Oak. I saw it because it is a gay love story highly rated by critics – Metacritic gave it a 93 out of 100.

The movie centers on Elio, the 17 year old son of a professor of antiquities living in Lombardy, Italy. Oliver is an American graduate student who has come to stay with the family and work with the professor for six weeks of the summer. The love story takes a while to unfold, partly because Elio is still trying to figure out his orientation. I’m delighted there is very little homophobia, especially for a movie set in 1983. This is a love story in which the two lovers happen to both be male. At the end Elio’s father is amazingly wonderful. I recommend it. A bonus – since the story takes place in summer Elio spends a great deal of time without a shirt.

I think the movie will be in Royal Oak for at least another week. I understand one can watch it online, though I don’t know if “free” means interrupted by commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment