Friday, March 15, 2019

Don’t blame it on being drunk

Yesterday I went to the town of Chelsea to attend a performance at the Purple Rose Theatre. Yeah, this is the one started by Jeff Daniels in his hometown. Chelsea is far enough away that I get to the theater about every other year. The play’s subject matter must really be appealing.

The play was Never Not Once by Carey Crim and these performances were the world premier. The appeal was it was about a lesbian couple and the daughter they were raising. Even better, that the couple is lesbian isn’t the focus of the story. The focus is the daughter, now in college, wanting to find her biological father.

It’s also a #metoo story. The man does what he always does in these sorts of stories. He lies. His version of the story differs in key ways from hers. He uses euphemisms for what happened. His apologies are vague, and to the women unconvincing. He is more worried about his reputation than the harm he has caused. He blames it all on being drunk and on being a frat boy. The daughter’s boyfriend calls out that last excuse and the women insist on an honest confession.

The show was, of course, excellent in its acting and all its details. One expects it from the Purple Rose and I’ve never been disappointed.

Yesterday was a rainy day, though I did get in an afternoon walk to enjoy the warm temperature. I went to Chelsea in time to pick up my ticket, walk a block to a restaurant for supper, and have plenty of time before the show started. After supper, with 25 minutes until the show started I considered walking around Chelsea’s small downtown even with my umbrella up, but there were flashes of lightning. I thought it best to walk straight to the theater.

As I came up to the theater I saw no one in the lobby, which I thought rather odd. Once in the door the staff said, there’s a tornado watch in effect. Please join us in our basement until it is over. Staff were posted along the route to guide us to the Green Room. There were already lots of people there. The staff offered water, soda, and snacks (I had just eaten) and brought in more chairs. Some people had phones out following the course of the storm.

After a half hour (and a bit after the scheduled show time) we were invited back upstairs. The show started 20 minutes late.

After the show I saw my friend and debate partner. Without consulting each other we had chosen the same night to see the show. He was there with his girlfriend and brother’s family, all of whom I’d met before.

No comments:

Post a Comment