Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Misadventures in love

A short post this evening. About 7:30, just after I turned on today’s opera I had a misadventure with my browser and had to do some restoration work. And I had to do some searching to find out how to do that restoration work.

When I shut down my browser for the evening I usually have lots of tabs open. When I start it up the next morning all the tabs reappear. That method of operation is why I sometimes talk of working through accumulated browser tabs. It was all these tabs I wanted to restore.

When I don’t do what I want to do with a tab withing a day or so it tends to stick around. And they accumulate. During the restoration I saw that I had close to 190 tabs. Some of them dated back at least two years. So after restoration I went through and deleted more than 50 of them.

I recently learned that the browser has a maximum number of tabs, but doesn’t tell me when it deletes old ones to make room for new ones. Some of the really old ones I liked (though probably hadn’t looked at in two years) are no longer there.



This evening’s opera is The Tales of Hoffman by Jacques Offenbach. Because of my restoration work I only had time for the lengthy prologue (why didn’t they just call it Act 1?) and Act 1. Hoffman is a writer and he recounts three misadventures in love. Act 1 is his love for Olympia who is a mechanical doll, what we now call a robot. She sings an amazing aria, one that is a benchmark for high, florid singing. While she sings it she has to act like a doll. Kathleen Kim did an excellent job.

No comments:

Post a Comment