Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Adding excitement to my life

I'd been thinking of ways to have high-fiber, low-fat snacks around here. I began to ponder whether air-popped popcorn would work. Popcorn is high in fiber and cooking it in air uses no fat. When out shopping over the weekend I found such a popper for only $16. Not much to lose if my experiment flops, so I bought it. I tried it out today. The end product is rather nice, though salt doesn't stick all that well. Alas, the popping process is very messy. The exit chute points out, not down, and flying popcorn quite easily takes unpopped kernels with it. I can't use my hands to guide the flying corn because the air is hot. After collecting kernels from across the counter I had a lot to stick back into the machine for another round. It is rather fun to look into the machine and watch the hot air swirl the contents around.

1 comment:

  1. I just gather the corn into an empty bag and pop it in the microwave. I don't add butter or salt, but rather use nutritional yeast when it's done and in the bowl.

    ReplyDelete