Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Careful what you wish for

I've had moments -- no doubt you have too -- during the last 8 years in which I wanted to see Bush fail in a spectacular manner. There were also moments in which I wanted the war in Iraq to fail. That idea was quickly pushed aside when I realized how a loss in Iraq would affect lots of other things I hold dear, such as America's spirit and reputation. I'm old enough to know how both were damaged when we pulled out of Vietnam.

Alas, we have seen Bush fail in a spectacular manner and a lot of friends have lost jobs (and my retirement savings took a big hit) because of that failure.

But to give an idea about the cause of the current long-term death spiral of the GOP (which won't reach bottom soon) is this tidbit: They are wishing for Obama's failure, and doing so in public. It seems they aren't looking for Obama to battle mightily against America's problems and not quite prevail. They want failure. They apparently have no concept of -- or no empathy for -- what such failure will mean to the nation. Economic recovery? Failed. Hope in our future? Dashed. Environmental protection? Forget it. Peace in the Middle East. Worse than now. Wanting America dead on the floor is where you end up when your ideology fails, yet you can't give it up for reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment