Sunday, November 8, 2009

Problems pop up like weeds

Here is an article from mid-October that I found last week. I read enough to know I wanted to write about it but didn't get a chance then. Perhaps that was a good thing.

The Gideons are the people who put bibles in hotel rooms around the world. I remember a motel in southern Tennessee where the bible wasn't tucked in a drawer, but out and open. Gideons also pass out bibles in colleges (I got one at the time and have no idea what happened to it) and apparently also in public schools, down to fifth grade. I know there are rules against such things as teachers and staff appearing to promote religion during normal class time, but there are also rules that permit bible clubs and such things as prayer around the flagpole (not led by staff). So where does bible distribution fit in? That might depend on how it's done. And problems pop up like weeds.

First of all, the Gideon Bible doesn't just have the text of the bible, but includes guides to find the verses that Fundies have decided are most important. So, this isn't a generic Christian bible. What would school leaders have said if someone wanted to hand out copies of the Quran?

Jewish kids were harassed for not taking bibles, both teased by other kids and admonished by adults.

Pressing a bible into a fifth grader's hands usurps parental rights.

All that means it is usually done so blatantly that courts have repeatedly struck down the practice. Of course, in places such as Texas it persists, so the ACLU has issued a report of what's going on and why it is bad. I'm sure the report is just a warning.

This morning during the church service there was a Gideon representative who made a couple minute presentation asking for donations for their bible distribution. I can't say I disagreed with the words he used, though the way he said it put me on edge. One telling moment was when he said, "The Gideons are made up of business men … (pause) … and their wives." Let me know if you don't follow the implications of that statement.

After the choir sang the morning anthem it was my turn to give a Stewardship Moment. I am trying to get the church to approve a Vision Statement that welcomes gay people (and lots of others that tend not to fit into the traditional church). I'm well aware this is a multi-year project. So my talk today was about the question, "How are we to treat someone who is different from us?" I began by talking about all the things that happen when we get the answer wrong -- wars, slavery, ghettos, and heresy trials top the lengthy list. We need a Vision Statement because there are loud voices in the church preaching division and people have been intensely hurt by that. We can be a refuge where that doesn't happen.

When I spoke the Gideon was the closest to me, so I glanced in his direction on occasion. Through much of my talk he had this intense and pained grimace/glare thing going. At one point he even shook his head. At the time I thought he didn't like my message of inclusion, but later I suspected he didn't like my criticism of his theology. I wondered if he would approach me after the service. He didn't. It didn't take me long to decide that I would discuss things if he did, but I wasn't going to approach him.

A few weeks ago two women from Jehovah's Witness came to my door. Even by Fundie standards the Jehovah's Witness is a bit out there. I interrupted the older woman's spiel and our exchange went something like this:

"What do you think of gay people?"

"The bible says…"

"I asked what you think, not what the bible says."

"I support what the bible says."

"Would gays be welcome in your church."

"Yes, if they took part in reparative therapy."

"Then gays aren't welcome in your church. I'm not interested. Thank you."

I achieved my goal of explaining exactly why I wasn't interested. I might have debated them a bit longer (doubtful it would have changed anything, considering some of their other unusual ideas of theology and how particular they are about them), but I felt angry during the whole exchange. It was hard to close the door gently and not slam it in their faces.

And that is why I didn't approach the Gideon.

No comments:

Post a Comment