Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Real men ride with the gay community

I saw a version of this news story and, since I'm not a sports fan, thought that's nice and let it go. My friend and debate partner, who watches several sports, reminded me of the significance. So I'll let him tell it. For those not up on acronyms, LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication and is a way for web content (such as this blog) to be sent out automatically.

From SportsFilter, an RSS feed I get that features sports stories and reader responses, today...

"The Blackhawks and Cubs to be a part of Chicago's Gay Pride Parade: The Chicago Blackhawks are bringing the Cup back into town for the Pride Parade. The team will be represented by Brent Sopel who has said that he is honored to be a part of the parade. The Chicago Cubs will have a float as well and none other than Ernie Banks himself will be on it."

I can think of no greater proof that LGBTs are now mainstream in America. The message to the remaining haters is clear -- real men (who win the Stanley cup and play pro baseball) ride with the gay community.

This was beyond imagination half my life ago. In another generation, the closet will be a curious artifact of history.

That leaves one major hurdle -- acceptance of LGBTs in conservative churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment