Monday, August 19, 2013

Eat food

I spent part of this afternoon at a follow-up visit to Nutrition Healing Center in Ann Arbor. I was there a week ago and they tested me for several things -- in a manner that left my friend and debate partner shaking his head with disbelief.

To back up a step… I have been working with a dietician (actually two) and physiologist in the top-rated medical system in the Detroit area. My insurance company said I need to lose weight and this program is free. But, for a variety of reasons, the diet wasn't working. The physiologist (the one I see most frequently), in consultation with the dieticians, was stumped. She even asked me what I thought I should try next. Um… I'm not the expert here.

So I tried their prepackaged, dehydrated meals. They seemed to work. A bit. But the effectiveness didn't seem to sustain. Besides, reconstituted meals are not a great way to dine. Out of the many meals the supplier offered, most had too much sugar. Some of the others didn't satisfy hunger. And some of the rest (such as their cheesesteak pasta and their jazzed up oatmeal) just didn't sound or taste good. That left me with vegetarian versions of chili and sloppy joe made with soy. That brings to mind the first of Michael Pollan's instructions for eating: Eat food. That can be identified by few ingredients with names that can be pronounced. I seriously doubt this stuff qualifies. I see the physiologist tomorrow and will tell her so.

So, back to that nutrition place. Their analysis indicated I have a "blockage" for soy. That means it interferes with healing and I get less nutrients out of it than I get problems, even though I don't have symptoms one can say are from soy. I'll gladly leave behind the dehydrated chili. But I've also been eating veggie burgers and veggies sausage and quite enjoy them. Oh well.

I now have three supplements with various strange names to clear out various toxins and promote healing. One of those toxins is apparently a trace amount of arsenic that I might have picked up while in college in a town that had well water that was known for its high levels of iron.

But I went to this place to solve the dietary problems and they seemed to be more interested in making sure I had the right supplements. As for diet all they've said so far is "eat organic." From the nutrition center I went to a nearby health food store. I walked the aisles feeling quite lost. And wondering what I do with all the non-organic food in my fridge and cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment