Saturday, August 17, 2013

So what if coach is gay

When I have a break in the action (no food to serve, no pots to wash) at Ruth Ellis Center I read. Sometimes I read from the center's library (and I've heard I'm the only one to do so -- it's a strange collection of books). One of the books was about a gay high school track coach in the 1990s. He didn't have too many issues with the kids, but the administration and coaches from other schools made problems. I thought about that as I was listening to this piece from The Story on NPR.

Anthony Nicodemo is the basketball coach at a high school in Yonkers, NY. This past June he told his players and their parents that he is gay. The reaction: not an issue. He talks about how he is an advocate for gay youth -- he told a meeting of fellow coaches that at least one of them has a gay kid on the team. He shares that he no longer has to worry about other people finding out what he does away from the job. And he relishes in busting stereotypes -- at a hefty 6-1 he doesn't look gay. The piece is 23 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment