Thursday, August 22, 2013

I don't need evidence

I leave for vacation the day after tomorrow. I fly to Washington, DC for several days of being a tourist, then a long weekend at the Reconciling Ministries Network Convo. It ends on Monday at 1:00 and I head promptly to the Baltimore airport for the flight home. Classes begin the next day at 11:00. I'll post about the trip as I can, though I may not report much on gay news.

In the meantime, these might be the last posts before I go. And since a lot of stuff has accumulated, each might get only a few sentences.

Cedar Point, the amusement park in northern Ohio (which I visited many times in my youth because of relatives living nearby), offered a contest to have several couples get married within the park. The fine print said: "Due to marriage laws in Ohio, weddings are limited to male-female couples only." A gay couple started a campaign to change that. As both are rollercoaster enthusiasts, they thought a commitment ceremony at a place known for its coasters would be just fine. The park got word of the campaign and cancelled the contest.



Thankfully, due to redistricting a couple years ago, I'm not in the district of Rep. Kerry Bentivolio. He took over from nasty Thaddeus McCotter. He wants to be remembered as the Congressman who impeached Obama. He does admit to a tiny problem in realizing that dream -- no evidence. And it is just so crass to write a bill of impeachment without evidence.



Lynn Ellins, County Clerk for Doña Ana County in New Mexico, started issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples today. Gary King, state Attorney General, will not challenge Ellins in court. He does, however, warn gay couples their marriages may later be invalidated -- the state Supremes will probably take the case soon. New Mexico law doesn't permit gay marriage, but doesn't ban it either.



Gov. Jerry Brown of Calif. recently signed a law that protects transgender students in schools. Opponents said, using a line they've used against us for years, "How do I explain it to my children?"

Beth Kohm, writing for Gay Voices in Huffington Post, explained transgender her six-year-old son Joshua. She tried to warn her son the issue is complex. His response:
"No, it isn't, Mom. It is just like my Lego Ninjagos when I put the male heads on the female bodies. No biggie. Can I have a cookie?"
People who wonder about explaining it to kids are "really wondering how to explain it to themselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment