Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Getting all alarmist

Another big diet scare. The Guardian out of Britain has a big article about a study that says a high protein diet is almost as bad as smoking for people under age 65. Their definition of high protein is over 65 grams a day.

Since I've been eating 175-200 grams a day (and my nutritionist didn't blink at those numbers) I was suspicious and looked for something that contradicts what my nutritionist has been saying. And I found it.

Halfway through the article, after getting all alarmist, it finally described the trial: the diet of test subjects had "51% [of calories] coming from carbohydrates." Over the last six months I've been hearing a lot of the evils of carbs. I don't know why researchers found a noticeable difference between 10% of calories from protein and 20% from protein. But they didn't try to flip the equation: 50% of calories from protein and 10% from carbs.

The article doesn't mention another important point. What part of the diet -- carb, fat, protein (animal and plant), fruits and veggies -- is from organic sources?

Yeah, it is quite annoying for an article to work into such a lather about a study with a flaw in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment