Thursday, July 7, 2011

Certification, not education

Every so often I take a look at a blog by Steve Miranda who writes about teaching to a student's passion instead of requiring all students to take a set curriculum. As a teacher myself this idea fascinates me, though I don't know enough yet to see how I might apply it to my own classroom.

Even so, one of Miranda's recent postings caught my attention. He says in America we don't have a system of education, but a system of certification. Students work to get grades and a degree, not to actually learn things. Employers are interested in the certification because, "employers like seeing this because it’s evidence someone knows how to play the game, how to follow directions, how to deliver what authority figures want. That’s the certification they’re looking for."

And that strikes me as a very conservative idea -- they're looking for an obedient cog in the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment