Thursday, July 21, 2011

Home again

The trip to Minneapolis by train a week ago Tuesday was good, though long. Amtrak doesn't own the track (at least not Detroit to Chicago); Norfolk & Southern does. The track needs enough repairs that a speed limit has been imposed, but N&S doesn't have the money to make those repairs. This looks to be a long-term problem, but Amtrak hasn't revised their schedule, but only advises passengers the train will likely be late. So we (a fellow ringer from the Detroit area and I) had only enough time in Chicago to get lunch.

Wednesday in Minneapolis was great weather. I spent most of the day in the riverfront area that had been full of flour mills from 1875 to 1950. Alas, the museum there was closed due to a Minnesota gov't shutdown over budget battles. I took a tour of the nearby Guthrie Theater and attended a play, God of Carnage, there that evening. It was, of course, very well done, but didn't strike me as funny as the rest of the audience found it. One boy had bashed another and now the parents are trying to resolve the situation, but each of the four ends up battling the others.

The handbell seminar took the next four days and went well. Interesting classes, fine concerts, time to talk to old bell friends, talk to publishers, and hear what other composers are doing. One evening was a hymn sing (featuring choir and bells) at the Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church. The pulpit cloth had a rainbow pattern, so I went looking for and found a sign saying they are a Reconciling Congregation (meaning declared gay friendly). I talked to the minister of music (who conducted the musicians) about it. They were one of the first churches to make that declaration, having done so 20 years ago. It was a no-brainer for them because they had so many gay members already.

I had another free day on Monday. The museums were closed (most are on Mondays and the shutdown was still in effect) and the temperature was too hot to do anything outside. That meant I couldn't use the bicycle rental system installed on many downtown sidewalks, including across from my hotel.

So I took the commuter train to the Mall of America. It is big, yes, but it is a mall. And there is only so much I do in a mall. I walked (a lot), watched the amusement rides in the center area, had a couple meals, and watched the latest Harry Potter movie (matinee prices aren't too bad). The movie was a fine conclusion to the series and as for the rest, at least I was cool.

On Tuesday it was time to head home. Once at the train station I found there had been a derailment outside Minneapolis the previous Saturday and they weren't sure when the train from Seattle would get in. Those of us with connections in Chicago were put on a bus and sent on our way. Brief stop for lunch (Burger King with Amtrak picking up $5) and into Chicago 50 minutes early. I used the extra time to walk to Grant Park and around Buckingham Fountain. Fortunately, Chicago was not blazing hot.

The train out of Chicago was delayed so those on the train from Seattle could make their transfer. I'm glad I could wander Chicago rather than being stuck in the St. Paul station. With the slow speeds I got to my car in Ann Arbor at 2:00 am. -- not really a ringing endorsement to take the train again.

No comments:

Post a Comment