Monday, July 4, 2011

A celebration of love by the community

Nancy Andrews, a managing editor for the Detroit Free Press, wrote a lengthy commentary that appeared in Sunday's edition. Her partner, Annie O'Neill, is from New York and they decided when one of their home states permitted it they would get married. Andrews spent most of the column explaining why a public marriage is important. "'For better, for worse,' sometimes means you need a little help." It is the community that gathers for the wedding who will provide that help.

What is significant to me is that the Freep printed the commentary and used a big part of an Op-Ed page to do so. In finding the article online I saw readers had left four comments. I clicked on that link and the page showed three comments (don't know what happened to the fourth). Two were blocked by Freep staff, apparently too rude. The third was polite (though stretching it) but definitely anti-gay. I didn't leave a comment because I'd have to create an account. I did send a letter of thanks to the editor of the Editorial page.

I'm off to see my local city's fireworks display. They do a great job, though no match for the show Detroit/Windsor put on a week ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment