Tuesday, July 5, 2011

For the benefit of all the people

I like reading the blog Strange Maps for the strange and wonderful way map data can be presented. For example, a recent posting shows the layout of the hall floor for the 1908 GOP nominating convention. The layout is arranged to form the face of William Howard Taft. He was easily nominated and also easily defeated William Jennings Bryan.

But that alone isn't enough to bring this to your attention. What prompted me is some quotes of Taft on how he would conduct his administration. They make me wish the GOP still followed them a century later.

• Action for which I become responsible, or for which my administration becomes responsible, shall be within the law.
• A government is for the benefit of all the people.
• I am in favor of helping the prosperity of all countries because, when we are all prosperous, the trade with each becomes more valuable to the other.
• Enthusiasm for a cause sometimes warps judgment.
• I love judges, and I love courts. They are my ideals, that typify on earth what we shall meet hereafter in heaven under a just God.
• Substantial progress toward better things can rarely be taken without developing new evils requiring new remedies.
• We are all imperfect. We can not expect perfect government.
• I have come to the conclusion that the major part of the work of a President is to increase the gate receipts of expositions and fairs and bring tourists to town.
• We live in a stage of politics, where legislators seem to regard the passage of laws as much more important than the results of their enforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment