Thursday, January 5, 2012

Please excuse my clumsy and inarticulate words

Former tennis legend (not that I've heard of her) and now televangelist pastor Margaret Court said some nasty things about gays recently, and this isn't the first time. She was called out by Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova (two that I have heard of), and Rennae Stubbs -- all three are lesbians.

Court didn't like that reprimand. She insists she loves gay people, such as Billie Jean and Martina, but says, "I make a stand for both my biblical side, and what I believe."

Pam Spaulding of Pam's House Blend imagines Court saying, “I’m not a bigot, my crude, insensitive remarks are just me expressing my religious beliefs.” I would put it another way: I'm so sorry my clumsy way of articulating my beliefs offends you, but I do have free speech rights. An apology like that usually appears after the perpetrator has said something about gay people that has been verified to not be true.

Spaulding then links Court's comments to the attempts in Tennessee to add a religious exemption to the anti-bullying law I mentioned yesterday. Kids have a right to talk about their religion. It's just too bad their inarticulate and clumsy way of expressing themselves is seen as bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment