Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Political upset

A big news item this morning is that House Majority Leader Eric Cantor lost is primary bid to an unknown Tea Party candidate. I'm sure lots of pundits will tell you how momentous that is. I listened to some of them on On Point on my local NPR station. I had no love of Cantor, given his position as #2 GOP in the House. His victorious opponent will be worse. But won't this give the Dem candidate an opening? Nah, the district is gerrymandered to be highly conservative.


What caught my attention is the GOP leadership realizing what their prez. candidates in 2016 will have to say and do to get through the primaries. Which means whoever comes out ahead will be less appealing to the country as a whole. Good. The Tea Party agenda doesn't mix well with the agenda of women, blacks, Latinos, gays, and the poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment