Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's a face-off and I'm rooting for the dancers

In the little town of Warsaw, Ohio, the members of the New Beginnings Ministries church has "watched over" a nearby strip club for four year. They impede cars and use video cameras and bullhorns. They gather license plates and post them online. They exhort the dancers over how much they are disobeying God.

The dancers have had enough and have decided to take up the church's invitation. Not to go in, but to protest out front. They wear their most revealing outfits, sit in lawn chairs, and wave to cars passing by, ignoring the service going on behind them. Their signs say, "Matthew 7:15: Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing." The club's owner says someone is sinning and he'll let Americans decide who.

The pastor says these women are destroying families. The women respond saying their income keeps their families together.

Some of my readers may wonder why it appears I'm rooting for the wrong side. It's because these particular Christians, like so many I rant about, are ignoring the top commandment of Jesus to love people, not condemn or harass them. Put it another way, if I was doing something wrong (and in their eyes I am), this is not how I would want them to tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment