Monday, August 16, 2010

A gay movie that just is

I went to see the movie The Kids Are All Right last night, now that it is showing at the megaplex rather than just the art houses. The difference is 15 minutes of travel time. I got there plenty early, but didn't want to sit in the theater and be subjected to ads, so I took a seat only 5 minutes before the previews started. To my surprise I was the only one there. Another half dozen came as the previews started. Not a good showing for a Sunday evening. That may mean you should consider attending a showing soon. Yahoo movies allow one to check what's showing in any city. For my sister and her partner, I didn't see it listed in Saginaw (or Bay City or Midland), but it is showing in Flint (I-75 at Corunna?).

This is the movie about a lesbian couple and their two teenage kids. The son wants to know about his biological father, the sperm donor. His older sister makes the call because he's not yet 18. I'll let you see it for the rest.

The acting is excellent, though it was sometimes hard to see the male teen lead as only 15. The relationship between the two moms was quite natural, showing we're just like everyone else. However, it wasn't really my kind of movie. The plot is thin because the emphasis is on the characters and how they change. Then again, I paid full price and didn't think my money was wasted. Warning: it definitely earns it's R rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment