Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Travelogue – home



Yesterday, the dash across Ontario from St. Catherines to Windsor was straightforward. Since I was aiming for the Whole Foods store in Detroit I decided to take the tunnel this time. A very short wait at the border once I was above ground again.

Some stats from the trip:

* Total driving miles: 2475. A couple hundred of those were around the White Mountains. Many more miles on foot.

* Total number of photos taken: 593. No, I won't inflict them all on you. I plan to print the best 100.

* I was on US routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 9. I crossed over US 5.

* I spent almost $13 in tolls driving across New York.

* Every state and province on this trip – Ontario, Quebec, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York – has marriage equality. Alas, Michigan isn't there yet.

* Out of all those places, only my home state of Michigan has a higher price at the gas station for using a credit card instead of cash. The difference is usually a dime a gallon. When I asked to confirm this at my first fuel stop (in Ontario) the attendant was puzzled that other places would have a price difference.

I arrived home at about 3:30. At 4:45 a thunderstorm went through the area. At 5:00 my power went out. So after almost three weeks of eating in restaurants I went out to eat. I then attended a meeting I wasn't sure I'd be able to attend. No need to sit at home in the dark. I used candles at home once the meeting was over, and went to bed on the early side.

When the power was still out this morning I registered the outage with the electric company. Naturally, they said it would be a long wait to talk to a real person. The automatic system registered the outage, then told me power might be out until late Friday night. So much for the food I had just bought. Then again, I saw their trucks on the street this afternoon.

No power didn't affect my morning shower, but it was to a restaurant again for breakfast. That omelet was huge! I did a bit of clothes shopping (classes resume next week), then met my friend and debate partner for lunch.

I'm now sitting in my classroom at the college. The full-time faculty are in workshops all day, so the department is rather quiet. I might have time to adapt last year's class syllabi for this year, getting it done this afternoon. I'm glad the storm cooled off the temps – the college doesn't have air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment