Wednesday, October 15, 2008

DL report

I am up and walking and have been doing some driving, though I wouldn't want to do long distances operating the clutch with my left leg.

I attended my church bell choir rehearsal Monday evening (rather necessary since I'm the director), though I let them do all of the set-up and take-down work and I sat on a stool as we played. My hand is mostly healed (the gigantic bruise is fading) so playing little bells wasn't a problem.

I attended my community handbell choir rehearsal yesterday evening, mostly because we are giving a concert on Sunday and I missed last week (the day of the accident). Again, I took my stool to sit on. For this group I have medium size bells so pain in the arm and hands again wasn't an issue. However, the rehearsal was nearly 3 hours (as happens just before the concert) and I was exhausted by the end.

Though the bruise on the hand is fading, the bruises elsewhere took their time to develop. My left leg now looks like blackberry ripple ice cream. Sleeping is problematic because I'm only comfortable enough in two positions, one of them on my back and I don't like to sleep on my back. Getting from one position to the other usually involves pain. At a doctor's suggestion I bought Tylenol PM, though I verified it won't improperly interact with the Anaprox I'm also taking. I'll try it tonight.

Walking isn't a problem, though I take it slowly and don't do too much of it. Stairs, however can be painful if I don't do one step at a time. I cancelled out of volunteering at the Ruth Ellis Center again this week because they are on the 3rd floor and don't have an elevator (I'll have to ask them about that when I return). It was bad enough getting into my basement for laundry yesterday.

I called the city police department last Friday. I was told I had to make an accident report in person and since I didn't know the driver's name he wasn't sure it would do me much good. I talked it over with a friend at lunch today and we agreed it was worth the attempt. Since the police headquarters were on my way home (by a different route) I decided to see what they might say about it. I stood at the counter for 20 minutes (wishing I had a chair) telling the desk officer about the accident and watched while he filled out the accident report (it is a form to be read by computer and he spent a lot of time looking up the special numbers and abbreviations for the little boxes). He said there was enough info to pursue the case and it will be turned over to a traffic officer. The kid faces a misdemeanor and his insurance faces my medical and bike repair bills (probably all of $200).

I think my books from the WSU library that are due on Saturday are going to be overdue. The library is in the center of campus, not close to any parking and I don't want to walk that far yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment