Tuesday, October 7, 2008

On the DL

My bicycle ride on this sunny October day was cut short today when a car didn't stop as quickly as it should have at a red light. He he was in the center of 5 lanes and didn't see me due to a truck in the lane beside him. Yeah, that means I had time to cross two lanes with the light in my favor and he still didn't stop in time. Good news: no broken bones (verified with lots of x-rays). Bad news: a contusion in my left thigh makes it painful for me to put weight on that leg. I also have a goose-egg on my left shin, scrapes along my left elbow, and a big bruise at the base of my right thumb (my signature is going to be shaky for a while but typing is fine). I'll also have to get the front wheel of my bike repaired or replaced. Many thanks to Kirsten who lent me her cell phone and stayed with me until my friend Lucia could take me to the urgent care department of my medical center. Thanks also to Lucia and to friend John, who took me home, went into the pharmacy for me, and retrieved my bike from the scene (left chained to a lamppost). I'm wheeling around the house in my office chair, though it can't get across the "flood barrier" at the bathroom door. Getting onto and across the tile in the kitchen is possible, though an adventure. Recovery might take two weeks.

Update: Since this is a gay blog and not a sports blog I should make it clear that in this case I am using the sports term of Disabled List, not the gay term of Down Low. Ask if you need a definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment