Since their takeover of the House the GOP has renewed its war on women. Some of the things in budget and related bills:
* Zero out funding for Planned Parenthood. This affects their ability to counsel women about birth control. This would increase the number of abortions.
* Zero out Title X funding, used to prevent, screen, and treat sexually transmitted diseases.
* Cut support for international family planning (opposite of what is needed to minimize the effects of global warming).
* Allow hospitals to refuse to terminate a pregnancy even if it would save the mother's life.
* Cut the WIC budget by about 10%. This pays for nutritional food for poor women with children.
Why is it moral and "pro-family" to put the needs of the unborn so highly over the mother to insist that a woman must carry a baby to term even if doing so will kill her. Then to cut funding on programs that would (1) prevent her from getting pregnant in the first place, (2) make sure she has enough nutrition so that the baby will be healthy, and (3) give the child enough nutrition and education to be a contributing member of society?
We were told the GOP was going to focus all their energy on fixing the economy. Instead we get a war on women, a war on the poor, a war on the middle class, a war on gays, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.